Oracle Cloud Observability and Management Platform
By: Christi Hartzo - Financial Analyst Consultant
Published: October 8, 2020
With the launch of Oracle’s Cloud Observability and Management platform, the issue of consistently managing and maintaining full visibility of all of ones’ IT operations has been solved. This new platform allows companies to easily integrate existing tools from the cloud and on-premises to get in-depth machine learning insights, analytics, forecasting, and more, while helping to prevent outages and reduce troubleshooting.
Challenges in the enterprise-grade observability and management include:
- Heterogeneous and multi-language stack
- Data silos that complicate analysis
- Point-solutions that lack full-stack visibility
- Mix of on-premises and cloud deployments
- Lack of interoperability between tolls
- Hard to find expertise for mixed technologies
- Problem detection and resolution is difficult
- Multiple tools needed for troubleshooting
- Separate on-premises and cloud operations
- High integration costs
Oracle Cloud Observability and Management Platform helps to solve the above challenges with cross-stack visibility and rapid performance insights for any technology, deployed anywhere. Other benefits include:
- Integrated platform that enables seamless analysis across all software components and types of telemetry.
- Cross-tier view of the application, database and infrastructure performance.
- Cloud-native and traditional technology stack support.
- Enterprise-wide visibility across Oracle Cloud, third-party clouds and on-premises.
- Ecosystem interoperability through standards-based data exchange and collection.
Currently, Oracle Observability and Management Platform has integrations with Grafana, PagerDuty and Slack. Oracle also provides support for standards from the Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF), such as CloudEvents and OpenTracing.
Here are the different frameworks that make up the Oracle Observability and Management Solution:
- Central Logging Management:
- Oracle Observability and Management provides a collection of all logs from on-premises and cloud computing locations utilizing the Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF) standards to centralize all logs from different applications and devices. You can utilize the logged files to display and trigger notifications based on the severity of the issues through Kafka compatible streaming service. Oracle uses a low pricing storage solution for their customers, with the first 10GB free and a very small fee for every GB after per month. This process also allows for a centralized location for auditing, logging of your entire portfolio, and retaining adequate history for compliance purposes.
- Oracle Infrastructure Logging Analytics:
- Oracle utilizes Machine Language (ML) to provide logging analytics that build a fluid visualization of the trending data and complex patterns to stay one step ahead of issues that usually occur between multiple systems. Oracle Cloud Logging Analytics offers over 250 parsers for Oracle and non-Oracle technology components. It explicitly supports logs from applications running on other clouds as well as a full stack of on-premises technologies.
- Oracle Infrastructure Application Performance Monitoring:
- Oracle provides a powerful dashboard for performance monitoring of applications, servers and devices, utilizing the OpenTracing and OpenMetrics frameworks. This provides the IT management team an end-to-end visibility of the IT infrastructure and applications.
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Database Management:
- Oracle also provides a new tool called the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Database Management for clients that already use Oracle Enterprise Manager to manage and centralize Oracle databases and Exadata deployments. This provides real time SQL monitoring and performance of the hub, automatic workload repository (AWR), Active Session History (ASH) analytics and blocking session details.
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Operations Insights:
- Included in the suite of the Observability and Management solution is a product called Operations Insight. This product provides analysis, forecasting, and consumption of the database resources using long term historical data and utilizing machine language-based models to predict capacity utilizations. This helps the IT team to be one step ahead of high throughput, storage shortage, and CPU utilization information. It also proactively identifies SQL issues and performance metrics. All these capabilities help to give foresight and proactive awareness of a possible outage.
- Oracle Cloud Service Connector Hub:
- The Connector Hub is a free service that is included with the Oracle Observability and Management Platform. It allows for management of log data movements and tracking and securing of customer data workflows across Oracle and other partner tools. This service includes remediations and alerting by automatically triggering functions or notifications through the utilization of PagerDuty and Twilio.
- Oracle Enterprise Manager:
- Enterprise Manager provides a monitoring and management solution for database metrics and engineered systems in any cloud or customer data center. This helps to reduce the risk of application downtime and expands capabilities based on where there is the most need.
Schedule your Free Consultation, to see it in action!
We offer Autonomous Systems for EPM Cloud Applications such as Oracle Planning & Budgeting Cloud Service (PBCS/EPBCS), Financial Close & Consolidations Cloud Service (FCCS), Enterprise Data Management Cloud Services (EDMCS), Account Reconciliation Cloud Service (ARCS), Profitability & Cost Management (PCM) and more.